MINERAL COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS VOLUNTARY CLEANUP
Spring 2008 – August 2008
The Mineral County Fairgrounds Association (MCFA) began as a group hoping to bring rodeo and arena events to Creede. Members soon recognized the need for a more encompassing goal of recreation as a whole. The Upper Rio Grande Events and Recreation Complex was a vision of the MCFA board members to provide year round recreation opportunities for residents and visitors to Creede. To fulfill this dream, 46 acres of land was donated to the MCFA. However, much of it had been negatively impacted by historic mining activity. WCRC and the Mineral County Fairgrounds Association partnered on a Voluntary Cleanup through the USEPA’s Brownfields program.
To allow for recreation activity to occur on the site, the MCFA decided to remediate the land to residential standards under the EPA Brownfields Program. In coordination with the WCRC, the MCFA added a twelve inch soil cap to the areas that had elevated metals and reseeded and hydro-mulched the entire area.
Due to its proximity to Willow Creek, the WCRC felt that this project was in line with their goals. WCRC assisted with initial investigations, XRF analysis, groundwater sampling, grant writing and project coordination. The WCRC is proud to have a strong partnership with the MCFA that will foster a healthy floodplain and bolster community recreation opportunities.
The reports below are listed in chronological order. The first draft VCUP was submitted following the Brownfields application, and the two WCRC Sampling and Analysis Reports document additional investigation to address issues raised by CDPHE with the VCUP. Following the additional investigations, the EPA required ABCA was produced to evaluate cleanup alternatives and proposes a new plan to cleanup the site. The ABCA will support submittal of a revised VCUP to CDPHE.
- MCFA Conceptual Plan Booklet (Aug03) – 23 page PDF
- Mineral County Rate Sheet (1 page PDF)
- MCFA Brownfields Application – 19 page PDF
- MCFA Draft Voluntary Clean Up Plan – 48 page PDF
- WCRC Sampling and Analysis Report – 11 page PDF
- CDPHE VCUP Issues Letter – 1 page PDF
- WCRC Sampling & Analysis Report – Depth Samples ’06 – 10 page PDF
- AGS Soil Volumes Memo – 2006 – 5 page PDF
- Site Specific Health & Safety Plan (HASP) – 18 page PDF
- MCFA Final Voluntary Clean Up Plan – 40 page PDF
- Analysis of Brownfields Cleanup Alternatives (ABCA) – 28 page PDF
- Revegitation Report – 15 page PDF
- Final Construction Specifications – 19 page PDF
- Construction Drawing 1
- Construction Drawing 2
- Construction Drawing 3
- Construction Drawing 4
- Construction Drawing 5
- Construction Drawing 6
- Survey Data from the NRCS – text file